Commissioned to me by a client, I have to admit that Princess Tutu is not the kind of figure I would pick to paint. However as I worked on it I changed my mind and today I am glad that my client gave me the opportunity to work on such a kind of figure. Having the possibility to work with transparent parts again made me learn a lot on how to handle them in the future. At the end of the process and after seeing all the figure assembled, I am really glad I created such a beautiful work of art.

Cleaning: Overall the figure was made up of simple and solid parts which were easy to clean. However if you are to work with transparent parts and would like to keep them so on has to clean them very delicately. Another major problem arose when I found out that the base on which Tutu stands was damaged at its very thin circular end. It was quite hard to repair such a damage.

Pre-assembly: I did not assembly any part before painting this figure. I just did a lot of test fitting to ensure that each part fits well, once these were ready from painting.

Painting: As I do always I started from the white parts. I did various mixes of white and blue which gradually came to be highlighted with pure white to obtain the result you see. I also made sure to keep all the process as smooth as possible since white was to be one of the main colours. When the white was well dry I started the yellow on the base. To avoid a lot of masking I did all the yellow with a hand brush. I first started with a light layer of sunburst yellow which was shaded with golden yellow and finally washed with yellow in to blend the 2 colours. Once finished I did the flash parts. These were painted as usual starting from the darker flash tone to finally highlight with the lightest 7th and final layer.

I then started working on the hair. I wanted to keep the hair more on a natural brown colour but added orange to get more close to the anime reference. A base coat of orange was first applied. This was followed with a shading of a mix of brown and orange which was then followed by another light shading of brown ink. The large hair strand which was a transparent part was done in a similar fashion but I left the tip a bit transparent to give it more highlight.

The real challenge came when I started the transparent parts. All had to be done in one very watered down tone and with no possibility of airbrush overflow mistake. This because the colour had to been seen through and paint overflows would be clearly seen. After doing a couple of pieces over and again for about three times I got the hand of it and you can see how the final result came out in the photos.

Once these were finished, all I had to do was paint the details on the face such as the eyes, lips and eyebrows and the parts were ready for assembly.

Assembly: Assembling Tutu was quite a tricky part of the process. I wanted to see the final product of my work but at the same time I had to keep in mind which parts I could assemble and which not for two reasons. The first being, to make it easier to pack up the figure and avoid any possible damage especially to the most delicate parts. The second, to make it as easy as possible for my client to assemble all the parts together keeping in mind that my client as no experience with modeling. In the end I think I found a very good compromise and with the help of a photographic assembly guide I think there will be no problems.

Name:
Series:
Scale:
No of parts:
Produced by:
Finished:
Princess Tutu
Princess Tutu
1/7
29
Garage Kit
01/09/2012
Front full view.
Back full view.
Left Side full view.
Right side full view.
White part are only slightly shaded with blue
Here you can see all the transparent parts.
The pink skirt is transparent as well.
The big top hair part has a transparent tip.
Check the transparency work. - Yellow Wing.
The Facial details - especially the eyes/